Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Michael: Housing Services




Michael’s relationship with JFSA started in 2002, when he signed up to be a volunteer at the food bank they help run. So, three years later, when Michael got ill and needed assistance, he knew where he could turn to.

“I went through a very bad period after cancer and physically, for five years, I was very ill,” he said. “They managed to be there, supportive and helpful, getting me into programs and trying to assist me in different ways.”

During his fight with cancer, Michael experienced some of the greatest challenges in his life, on several levels. He was suffering from second-degree burns on his feet and his mother passed away. The JFSA found a wheelchair for Michael to use and helped him deal with his great loss.

“If I wouldn’t have had somebody there to talk to at the time, I don’t know what I would have done,” he said. “I was basically alone. The JFSA supplied me with support and gave me direction of where to go, and what to do.”

The agency helped Michael fast track the seven-year waitlist into subsidized housing. This new start to life, physically, emotionally and financially, helped give him more hope for the future.

Now, Michael has no problem waking up at 5:30 a.m. for the food bank once a week to give back to the community that’s help turn his life around.

“I’m capable of helping and because I receive, I figure I can help in any way,” he said.

To hear Michael's story, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment